- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 1/2
- cups powdered sugar
- Grated peel of 1 medium orange (1 to 2 tablespoons)
- 2 1/2
- cups Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
- teaspoon baking soda
- teaspoon cream of tartar
- teaspoon orange gel food color
- teaspoon yellow gel food color
- Coarse sugar, if desired
- Step 1:
Divide dough into thirds. Tint one portion orange and one portion yellow; leave remaining portion plain. Flatten each portion into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate 20 minutes.
On separate sheets of lightly floured waxed paper, roll each portion of dough into 12x9-inch rectangle. Place orange rectangle on top of yellow rectangle, using waxed paper ends to help flip dough over. Top with plain dough rectangle. Starting on a long side, and using waxed paper as an aid, roll dough into a cylinder. Wrap in plastic; refrigerate 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 375°F. Cut dough into 1/4-inch slices. On ungreased cookie sheet, place slices about 1 inch apart. Sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Step 5:
- Bake 7 to 8 minutes or until edges are set. Cool 1 minute; remove from cookie sheet to cooling rack.
Have a Happy Halloween!